Writing How to's, hints and tips!
Where to start, what to write, how do I begin to research, how do I write an essay? Writing an essay for school or a business report for the office can be one of the most intimidating chores we have to endure. Time and time again we just want to throw our hands up into the air, pull out our hair and bite our nails to the bone; hopefully after spending a few minutes on our little site we will be able to point you into the correct direction!
|Research Assistance||Style Guides||Writing your Essay|
The internet is a great resource for research, at the same time is is a little overwhelming. How to best use the internet for research? Our Research Page will help you coordinate your research sources, and provide support on finding basic facts. Our Reference Desk even includes hits and tips on how to use search engines properly. Our writing assitance section tells you how to start your research through detailed support on style guides.
- Search Engines - The net is too big at times. Learn how to properly use Google, Yahoo!, Altavista and more.
- Reference Desk - Basic facts, figures and every day knowledge. Great starting place for essay research!
- Indexes and Journals - Looking for Journal articles and on-line copies of professional publications; the meat and potatoes for any great essay, research paper, term paper or book report.
- Libraries - Why leave your room for the simple reference list, search libraries from around the world for great books?
- Newspapers & Current Events - Find out what happened 5 minutes ago in the world or research current issues of international newspapers.
- Virtual Library - Environment - a resource center for a wide range of environmental data.
- Writing Assistance - Where to start, what to write, how do I begin to research? What are the steps in writing a research paper?
Different academic disciplines use different documentation styles; your instructor may require you to use a particular style, or may allow you use one of your choosing. It is important to fully understand the documentation style to be used in your paper, and to apply it consistently.If you're not sure what a documentation style is or which one you should use, click here.
Check out our detailed guides to these major styles:
- American Political Science Association (APSA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Council of Biology Editors (CBE) (Coming Soon)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- Numbered References
- How do I write a Thesis Statement?
- Integrating Quotations from a Literary Text into a Literary Analysis Paper
- How to Organize your Thesis, by John W. Chinneck..
- How do you Quote or Pharaphrase?
- Emphasizing Your Ideas
- Clarity and Readability: Some Guidelines
- Documenting Quotations